4 Kg ripe tomatoes, 11/2 Kg onions
3/4 cup salt, 11/2 Kg sugar
3 level tablespoons curry powder, 4 1/2 level tbsp mustard powder
3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1.7 litre white vinegar
1 tablespoon of cornflour
- Peel and slice tomatoes and onions.
- Sprinkle salt over the tomatoes and onions and leave over night.
- The next morning pour off the liquid.
- Place tomatoes and onions in a large pot and cover with vinegar.
- Add the sugar and bring the mixture to the boil. Boil rapidly for 5 mins.
- Combine all the spices and stir into the relish mixture.
- Boil gently for 1 hour, removing scum, and stirring frequently.
- To thicken the relish, add the cornflour to a little water and mix to a smooth paste.
- Add a little of the hot liquid from the relish mixture until the paste is consistency of thin cream.
- Add the paste to the relish mixture and stir continuously for around 5 mins until thickens.
- Bottle in to hot sterilised jars and seal when cold. Makes approx. 12 medium jars.